Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Traumatic Year

1815 was a hard year for Marie-Amélie. Along with the senior Bourbons, the Orléans had returned to France, after Napoleon's fall in 1814, but his tumultuous return to power soon forced them into exile yet again. Until 1817, Louis-Philippe's family would live at the "Orleans House," in Twickenham, England. On December 31, 1815, in a sober, prayerful spirit, Marie-Amélie recapitulated the joys and sorrows, the hopes and fears of the past year. By now, of course, Napoleon had been decisively defeated at Waterloo, but Marie-Amélie still had alot on her mind.

Je remercie Dieu de tout mon coeur de m'avoir fait voir la fin de cette année. L'ayant commencée sous les auspices les plus heureux et les plus brillants, je craignais seulement d'être trop heureuse et que la prospérité, dont je jouissais, les vanités qui m'entouraient ne m'éloignassent de mes devoirs. Elles ont été de courte durée et un coup de foudre inattendu m'a fait mieux comprendre le néant des choses de ce monde. La nuit de mon départ fugitif de Paris demeure un des épisodes les plus douloureux: anéantie par le voyage le plus difficile, tourmentée de la santé de Louise, inquiète du sort de mon mari, j'ai passé un mois des plus pénibles de ma vie; ma santé en a été altérée et c'est seulement dans la tranquille solitude de Twickenham que je me suis remise, les agitations pour le sort de la France, les deux voyages de mon mari à Paris, la calomnie qui ne cesse de le persécuter ont été et sont encore pour moi une source continuelle d'inquiétudes.

Au milieu de ces épreuves j'ai cependant ressenti une vraie consolation en voyant mon bien-aimé Père tranquillement rétabli sur son trône et le beau rôle rempli par Léopold, toujours si brave. Cela a été mêle d'amertume par la triste pensée que ma chère Maman n'en a plus joui.

Je termine cette année dans une douce tranquillité, menant une vie retirée et paisible qui me conviendrait mieux que tout autre, si je pouvais oublier que je suis épouse et mère et que cette maison n'est pas la nôtre.

Je me résigne entièrement à la volonté divine; regrettant de n'avoir pas mieux profité des croix qu'Elle m'a envoyées durant l'année qui fini, je veux commencer l'autre pleine de confiance en Sa miséricorde qui fera toutes choses pour notre vrai bonheur et m'aidera à remplir tous mes devoirs comme il convient.

***

 I thank God with all my heart for enabling me to see the end of this year. Having commenced it under the happiest, most brilliant auspices, I feared only to be too happy, and that the prosperity I enjoyed, the vanities that surrounded me might distract me from my duties. They were of short duration, and an unexpected bolt of lightning helped me to better understand the nothingness of the things of this world. The night of my flight from Paris remains one of the most sorrowful episodes: exhausted by the most difficult journey, tormented by the ill-health of Louise, anxious about the fate of my husband, I passed one of the most painful months of my life; my health deteriorated and it is only in the tranquil solitude of Twickenham that I have recovered; the agitations for the fate of France, my husband's two journeys to Paris, the calumny that unceasingly pursues him were and still are for me a continual source of anxieties.

In the midst of these trials, I have, nonetheless, found true consolation, in seeing my beloved Father (Ferdinand IV, King of Naples) tranquilly re-established on his throne, and the noble role played by Leopold (her brother), always so good. This was mingled with bitterness at the sad thought that my dear Maman (Maria Carolina of Austria, Queen of Naples, who had died in 1814) no longer enjoyed it.

I end this year in a sweet tranquillity, leading a retiring, peaceful life, which would suit me better than any other, if I could forget that I am a wife and mother and that this house is not ours.

I resign myself entirely to the will of God; regretting that I have not better profited from the crosses He has sent me during the year that is coming to an end. I wish to begin the next full of confidence in His mercy, which will accomplish all things for our true happiness and assist me to fulfill all my duties as is right. (Le journal de Marie-Amélie, Duchesse d'Orléans, 1938, pp. 142-143)

No comments: